The first half of 2023 brought in a worsening cultural climate for LGBTQ+ youth in our country, with several hundred anti-LGBTQ+ bills being introduced in state legislatures from coast to coast. Unfortunately, this wave of legislative antagonism has manifested in anti-LGBTQ+ efforts here at home. Our LGBTQ+ liaisons to the City saw their roles dissolved. A bill that will criminalize doctors for providing gender-affirming care may go into effect any day now. It can be hard to feel hopeful at a time like this.
Prism United is fighting back.
- In April, we won a grant from the LGBT+ Housing Initiative, replenishing our Prism Healing Fund, sponsoring a Customizable Care Kit initiative, and funding a washer, dryer, and lockers for access by housing-insecure LGBTQ+ youth.
- That same month, Aramark organized a clothing & hygiene product drive to offer Prism support in our development of the Prism Wardrobe and Customizable Care Kits.
- In May, we won a PowerOn grant, bringing laptops and a printer to Prism for our programmatic needs. These resources will also be used to give housing-insecure LGBTQ+ youth access to technology.
- And then, we were selected to be the next recipients of the wayOUT Grant of New York City. The folks at wayOUT will throw a gala on October 13th and the funds from that gala will come to Prism.
This series of successes, paired with our continued organizational growth, has inspired us to embark on a new journey: establishing an LGBTQ+ Youth Center in Mobile, Alabama where we can run our programs and offer robust, comprehensive services for housing-insecure youth in our area. This has been a dream of ours since we launched in 2018, and we couldn’t be more energized to see it through.
Wig Walk 2023 is Almost Here!
Have you picked out your wig yet? On September 30th, event participants will enjoy brews, bubbles, and bites on this pub crawl for a cause.
Get your tickets today (and help us spread the word)! Wig Walkers who attend as a group (i.e., with a Wig Walk Squad) will be eligible to win Wig Walk Awards at the event After Party.
We Support Trans Youth
In heavy news, the 11th Circuit has issued a ruling that will soon allow the state to enforce the anti-transgender healthcare ban SB184. This means that care such as gender-affirming hormone therapy and puberty blockers will soon be inaccessible in Alabama for any trans person until they turn nineteen.
In response, we’ve partnered with the Campaign for Southern Equality and Magic City Acceptance Center to offer resources and support for families navigating this challenging period. Through the Southern Trans Youth Emergency Project (STYEP), families can receive accurate information about SB184; patient navigation to identify out-of-state, gender-affirming care providers; and emergency grants of $500 for immediate needs, including travel, medication, and other logistics.
Families can request support at www.southernequality.org/ALResources
Check Out Our First Annual Report
We are proud to present our first Annual Report, a reflection of our journey, achievements, and commitment to transparency.
• Key Milestones: Discover our remarkable achievements over the past year, thanks to your incredible support!
• Impactful Stories: Hear from our beneficiaries whose lives have been positively transformed by Prism’s initiatives.
• Reach: Explore our expanding reach and partnerships.
• Financial Insights: Get an in-depth look at our financials and how your contributions have been invested.
This report is a testament to YOU—our supporters, volunteers, and partners.
Together, we’ve made a difference in countless lives, creating a more inclusive and equitable world for LGBTQ+ youth.
Ready to explore the Prism Annual Report? Click the cover page to proceed!
It Takes a Village. Join Us!
Prism United is a homegrown project, created, developed, and sustained by members of our community here in Lower Alabama. We’ve accomplished a lot in five years, and we’re only scratching the surface of what’s possible.
If you believe in our work and have the means to contribute, we hope you’ll consider becoming a Sustain Member. Sustaining Members are supporters of Prism whose monthly donations power our programs, services, special events, and operations. Currently, Prism is buoyed by 30 sustaining members. Join us in the opportunity to grow Prism into the transformative, comprehensive response to the needs of LGBTQ+ youth that our community needs. We’re already well on our way. You can help us close the distance.
To becoming a Sustaining Member, click the button below and select “Make this donation every month,” when you make your next donation.
Thank you for all the ways you make Prism United possible. We couldn’t do it without you.
Corey Harvard (he/him)
Executive Director, Prism United